Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Little Email, Big Results

I've been a bit frustrated thus far at the lack of, well, doing anything so far at the internship.

Coupled with this is the fact that other interns, a select few, (out of maybe twenty-seven), have gone out into the field to Lakers' practice... or to the Dodgers locker room... all the while, I sit around and log games and do the job they've asked me to do.

It's not that I'm jealous... but, well, I was jealous. I felt as if I was wasting my time while others were thoroughly enjoying theirs.

I was going to talk to my boss directly on Tuesday, (and was a bit nervous about overstepping my boundaries and talking to him directly), when he decided to skip out of the office early. Conveniently for me, this allowed me to email him instead. Enough was enough.

I sent the following email on (9/30):

{{{Hey Armen -
Was gonna catch you this afternoon but you seemed to be in a hurry to get out of here. I haven't asked you yet, because I don't want to overstep my boundaries, but I was wondering if there's a bit more I can be doing for you around here. My next step from here is to get on the job market and see what kinds of openings I can find, and I was hoping to get a bit more experience here than what I've received so far.
I certainly don't mind logging tapes and logging games, I understand that is all a necessary part of the job for interns. Still, I'd really like to be doing more. My capabilities stretch way beyond that, and I'm a fast learner. Is it at all possible for me to start going out into the field with your reporters and cameramen? These types of experiences would be so valuable for me and I would relish it. In addition, the chance at maybe sneaking in a stand-up for my demo would be spectacular as well. Again none of these things are expected. I just feel like I'm being underused.
Let me know how you feel. Don't know if you're in tomorrow, hopefully I'll catch you then. If not, you know how to reach me.

Best,

Jason}}}

...needless to say, I was a bit nervous. The fate of my internship future was on the line.

Wednesday afternoon rolled around and my boss came right up to me. He had read my email. And he apologized to me. He had been very busy and planned to get me out in the field soon. And furthermore, could I go to Lakers practice on Thursday?

I didn't take a second to reply 'yes,' before I remembered that I had two classes on Thursday and had to decline. Still, it felt good to get asked, and I know there will be more chances in the future. I've been there almost a month already, with merely two months left to go. Time is flying, as expected. Hopefully I can make the most out of the rest of the opportunities given to me there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home