Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Finally.

Some of the fellow interns I've talked to, prior to getting to travel out into the field, get a phone call from my boss (Armen) prior to getting the chance.

I liken it to something like being called up from the minor leagues in baseball.

Armen: "Here's your chance, kid... go get 'em."

Me: "Thanks, skip."

Up until now, I have received no phone calls.

I got into work the other day expecting to do nothing. There were no baseball games, no basketball games, no nothing.

So of course, I got in, and started doing what every intern is told to do when there's nothing in particular to do: surf the internet.

I was almost immediately greeted by Armen, who told me I was headed out into the field.

YES!

I was to go interview a high school player by the name of Patrick Hall and his coach, Tom Therrian, who were up in Ventura, California. They played for St. Bonaventure and were going to face CalState Poly that weekend, the number 1 ranked team in the country. Patrick Hall was a senior, three years younger than me. He has a full scholarship to play football for USC and will probably start at running back quickly after he gets there.

The experience I had this day made all the other days of nothingness or near nothingness worth it in every way.

My afternoon started off meeting Glenn, who has been a cameraman for CBS for 20 plus years. He drove us both out to the field, which took about an hour to get to. The entire time we talked about what I wanted to be doing, and what he had done. From resume tapes to his sports experiences to how I should break into the business, I soaked everything up like a sponge.

We got to the field and my first impression was that everybody around us was impressed and wanted to get on camera. I thought this to be funny... as I, too, want to get on camera eventually.

Glenn let me do a number of stand-ups and I was admittedly nervous. He could tell, but he was patient and helpful. It was almost my first real interview with a player and a coach.

The whole thing really reinforced that this is truly what I want to do. Glenn reinforced it too. He kept saying, "I have nothing to complain about. I have the dream job." The only thing that gave me pause was when he started talking about his family... and mentioned how he had missed much of his little girl's upbringing.

It was a lot to digest and I hope to write more soon. I hope to go out with Glenn again soon, also. This was definitely a turning point in my experience, and I hope it continues for the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home